Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Grand unification

I'm waiting right now for a lecture on high-energy physics to begin. We have weekly lectures in my college, where speakers are invited to give general talks in their fields of specialization. This one is about the existence of a unified theory that brings all the fundamental forces together. What's a biologist doing at a physics lecture? I'm bored, and we still haven't got any new stocks of cells yet. And there are only so many papers I can read before I drift off.

Since Monday, we've been having lectures in Immunology. The person conducting the lectures is doing a bloody brilliant job. And well, he should. He's on the committee that writes the NCERT bio textbooks, so he should be able to get ideas across well. Although the lecture on Monday was just a refresher, he still did everything from first principles and basic assumptions. And then brought up what difficulties and advantages a multicellular host would have over a single-celled host in dealing with a parasite. All of it makes sense. And since it comes up in such a logical fashion, I didn't have to take notes at any point in the last three days.

Honestly, if I ever get into academics as a career, I want to be able to teach like him.

That's probably a target worth working towards, even if I'm not in academics.

1 comment:

Spica said...

Not all high energy physics is about Grand unification, you know!!
Anyway, how was the food?