Friday, September 19, 2008

Up above the world so high...

Excuse me while I get into my Ivory Tower.

 

There, that’s better.

 

As you might have guessed already, my project is still at a standstill. I have started preparing the solutions and buffers that I need, just that there aren’t any cells to use them on. Although new cells are expected to arrive this weekend.

 

So what am I doing in my Ivory Tower? I’m going to talk about my experience with high-level research. And by that I mean the projects I have done in labs located on the 3rd floor and higher.

 

Yes, that was a very lame joke. But I have to do whatever I can to amuse myself. Surprisingly though, all the projects I’ve done so far have been in labs located on the 3rd floor and higher.

 

I guess it makes sense to put labs high up and the admin offices lower down in a building. That way, mail reaches the office faster. The scientists get a good view, which can do a lot for your morale. Plus, if your lab is high up, it makes going anyplace else seem like too much work. That way, you ensure that when people get to the lab, they work.

 

Of course, the flip side is that the lab may seem too far away and you skip going to the lab altogether. But that’s where the guilt comes in. You tell yourself “I’m getting so much in grant money. There’s so much shiny equipment up there. The people in my group depend on me being there. This is no time for feeling lazy!” And march off to the lab.

 

That’s when the feeling of being trapped up there hits you. And you come up with theories of being trapped. Like this one.

 

Okay, I’m done. Have a class now which thankfully is on the 1st floor, so I’m going offline. And I’m leaving the Ivory Tower for now :)

3 comments:

Spica said...

But that’s where the guilt comes in. You tell yourself “I’m getting so much in grant money. There’s so much shiny equipment up there. The people in my group depend on me being there. This is no time for feeling lazy!”

Yeah, right!

ess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ajay S said...

Come now. Haven't you ever felt that way?